slice of life challenge day #2: missed calls

slice of life 2014

The first thing I do in the morning is usually checking my iphone or pressing the snooze button on my iphone alarm. Today was a Sunday morning, and I woke up on my own a little before 9AM. I always keep my phone on vibrate during the night, so when I checked my phone, I was surprised to see a bunch of text message and 10 missed phone calls from my dad in the States. I opened the text message from my dad that said, “Halmuni (grandmother in Korean) passed away now.”

It took some time for it to really hit me what those words meant. Everything else on my mind seemed to take a pause.  It was the moment I was dreading, the moment that deep inside I knew would happen, especially after the heart attack she had earlier on in December and considering how she was 102 years old. I just thought that I would have more time.

I kept thinking about the last conversation we had over Google hangout on Thursday night, where she asked me what I ate for dinner, and then asked me when would I see you again. And I replied, in 3 months, when I come home for the summer. It looks like it might take me a little longer to see you again. ❤

grandma

12 thoughts on “slice of life challenge day #2: missed calls

1. aggiekesler says:

Jee Young, I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. Being away when anyone passes away always makes it worse. I was away when both my grandma and grandpa passed away, so I can empathize. It sounds like she was a wonderful lady, and I’m glad you were able to talk to her recently. My thoughts go out to you…

Thanks for your words. Yes, she was quite a wonderful lady. I agree, it’s pretty hard not being there and away from all my family at such a difficult time. :T

2. Deb Day (@mrsday75) says:

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. 102. Wow. She must have had an amazing life. I was just thinking how she was born before telephones and lived long enough to have a google hangout with her granddaughter half a world away.

Take care of yourself and let your memories comfort you

3. AJF (@Anitaferreri) says:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss and the fact that you are so far away. It sounds like your last talk with your Grandma was a timely one. We never know how many days we will have with someone so every talk might just be the one we hold in our hearts.

Jee Young, I am so sorry for your loss. What an incredible life your grandmother lived! I hope your writing today gave you comfort as you reflect on her memory.

5. Tara Smith says:

So very sorry to hear about your grandmother, Jee Young. How marvelous, though, that you did get to “see” her and talk to her thanks to technology. That memory must be a great comfort to you now.