Disconnected

sols_6

Slice of Life Challenge Day #6

Disconnected

The MRT train slowly pulled into the station. I looked through my bag. I had that feeling inside. The feeling that I knew I forgot something important, but I continued to search, hoping my memory was playing a trick on me. Maybe I had forgotten that I put it in my bag. Maybe is what buried in between the papers and pens. I continued to search my bag.  Nope. It definitely wasn’t there. I had left my cell phone in my classroom.

I had about 30 seconds to decide what to do. Option 1 was get on the MRT (subway) and be home in the next 45 minutes. Or, I could choose option 2, go down the stairs and walk for another 10 minutes back to school. Then walk another 10 minutes back to the station, pay for the MRT again and get home within an hour and half. I decided to stay on the platform and just take the train home.

Disconnected from my phone, I actually read my book on the train ride instead of checking my e-mails. I had time to reflect, instead of listening to music on my walk home from the station. I enjoyed the quiet and the lack of electronic disruption, even if I felt a bit bare. It actually felt nice to be disconnected.

15 thoughts on “Disconnected

1. jaclynfre says:

With 2 phones with Indonesia, I’m always trying to track them down–one local and one iPhone that works with wifi (Yes, I’ve tried to unlock it, but it’s hardware locked–Thanks Verizon!!). I think I have a system, but then the recharging ritual is always a factor in the morning as I pack my bags quickly. Without the MRT, I have to always think of the taxi call . . . Love Singapore and its beautiful subway.

Anymore I feel that same sense of panic when I forget to grab my phone when I run out to get some groceries. But then a calm settles, because no one will interrupt me and I think I should do it more often. Your panic to peace came through.

3. Tara says:

Good for you that you were able to relax and let it go. Being without my phone really panics me – maybe it’s because I have two kids really far from home, and the phone reassures me that they can reach out if the need arises.

4. Jackie Haworth Hoy says:

I admire that you were able to continue with no cell phone. I hope I could do the same. I often think…what did we do before being chained to cell phones?…we survived quite well. Being disconnected allows us to connect with unexpected joys.

5. Kay McGriff (@kaymcgriff) says:

When I take my youth group on our mission trip in the summer, I require all of us to disconnect. Adults only can have cell phones (for kids to call parents), but I turn off the “smart” features and use it just for phone calls. After initial grumbling, they agree that the experience is richer because we are not distracted by our gadgets. Instead we focus on each other.

6. mag says:

Imagine how the kids of today have NEVER been without a connection for long…. our first graders held cell phones before they held pencils!!

7. The Brain Lair says:

I’ve been trying to disconnect more and more these days! It’s amazing what I used to do before twitter and goodreads and just linky stuff! Now I limit my time and I’m starting to feel less shaky about missing out! Great post.

8. Rachel Z says:

A week or so ago I accidentally left my phone at home for (gasp) the whole day. Once I got through the initial withdrawal period, it was actually quite liberating.

9. the other ruth says:

Good for you! I have been trying to purposefully decide when and when not to check my phone. It has become normal to be immediately connected, and sometimes I miss the days when that was not the case.