the search for cilantro

sols_6

Slice of Life Challenge Day #2

Another adventure at the supermarket!

I scanned the labels of the different herbs and green leafy vegetables in plastic wrapping. I saw parsley, alfafa sprouts, asparagus, rocket leaves, and coriander. I picked up the packet of herb coriander shipped from Malaysia. It looked like cilantro, but was it the same thing? I naturally just picked up the package and desperately tried to smell the inside of it through the plastic. It kind of smelled like cilantro. Then, I got out my iphone and searched herb coriander.  (How did we did we ever survive before  google and smart phones at our fingertips?) Yes, it is the same thing as cilantro. I ended up buying two packages.

Now I was set for the Korean tacos lunch I was hosting tomorrow. Cilantro, is what I needed for the guacamole and tacos. When I came home, I took out the herb coriander and washed it throughly. I ripped off a few leaves and tasted it.

Ohhhh, I thought to myself. It was a bit bitter and didn’t have the same cilantro taste that I enjoyed so much in my guacamole and tacos back home. It had an interesting taste. A close resemblance to the cilantro I was used to, but not quite the same. I wondered what to do.

The next morning, I went to another supermarket. I searched in the section where the fresh herbs were. This time I found a different package of coriander from Malaysia. I bought one, in hopes that it would have the cilantro taste I was looking for. When I got home, I opened the package and smelled it. I didn’t even need to taste it. It wasn’t the same.

An important lesson learned, coriander is not the same thing as cilantro here. However, the guacamole and Korean tacos still tasted good without it!

photo (69)photo (70)

9 thoughts on “the search for cilantro

1. newtreemom says:

The tacos look fabulous!

This reminds me of a saying about a country I once lived (will not name it, because it is quite lovely even though the saying was quite true). It was called “the loand of the not quite right.” You really could find ANYTHING in the markets, but often it was not quite right, not like the real thing.

2. writekimwrite says:

This is something I can not relate to as I have never lived in a place long enough to miss the abundance available to me in the grocery store. Your last two posts have given me a new appreciation for something I take for granted. One more thing, can I have an invitation to your next taco fest? :)yum

3. margaretsmn says:

My sister once visited from Texas and wanted to make us dinner. The cilantro we had in our grocery store was not the fresh taste she was used to. I wonder what you will do with all that coriander?

So here is my question, what are Korean tacos? How are they different? Isn’t it interesting that the cilantro didn’t taste like what you remembered. I wonder if the soil might have something to do with the way the plant tastes. Your feast is making me hungry, why do I have the urge for tacos now? 🙂

5. Jaana says:

I am with Elsie, what are Korean tacos?? Recently I have been having a difficult time finding medium grain rice for my Finnish rice porridge here in the US. Everyone likes long grain rice that does not stick together!

6. C. Crouch says:

I LOVE cilantro! I bet it is hard to find this time of year. I typically buy it when I have garden-fresh tomatoes in the summer to create a great guacomole. It is so hard to keep on-hand when you might need it. I even contemplated growing cilantro in my garden —-only to hear that it is too difficult. Glad you could still enjoy your tacos without it!

7. jaclynfre says:

I’m in the middle of a vegan challenge in Indonesia. The quest for the ingredients is an all weekend scavenger hunt. I found sun dried tomatoes yesterday, but had a hard time finding dried apricots. Cilantro is usually “empty, Miss,” cornmeal, garbanzo beans and a ripe tomato are elusive. But if you know where to go, you can find nutritional yeast, flax seeds and rice milk. Lots of raw tree nuts and avocados . . . imported or domestic. I’m not a huge fan of tofu / tempe, but available. Maybe I’ll post on it. But it may be too soon. 😉