The Hunger Games & Slice of Life Meetup

This past Thursday night was a very special night for two reasons. The first being that it was the opening night of The Hunger Games here in Seoul. After reading Facebook status updates and movie reviews on it, it finally came out here in Korea. Of course we had a special night out for us Hunger Game fans here, which was basically a whole bunch of teachers from my school.

We already had people choose their alliance: Team Peeta or Team Gale. Of course I am on Team GALE! Everytime he came out on the screen there was a collective “Ooooh” from the sea of women watchers. Overall, I thought it was a good adaptation of the book and captured the essence of what The Hunger Games is about. I liked Katniss and Rue. They were well cast. However, Peeta, on the other hand… If only he was a few inches taller than Katniss!

The second reason that it was important was that I invited a fellow slice of life blogger to join us! Jennifer, who I met through the slice of life challenge this past March was in Seoul for spring break. It worked out well since she was also a fellow Hunger Games fan (of course). She came out with her coworker and enjoyed the chance to see the movie. Unfortunately in Shanghai, where she works and lives, The Hunger Games was not coming out in the movies.

It the end, it was an eventful night as us teachers, readers and slice of life writers gathered to watch, root and cheer for the Hunger Games movies.  I can’t wait to see the next one!

What did you think about the movie?

More importantly, Are you on Team Peeta or Team Gale?

My quick attempt at the Katniss braid!

Dyanne & me with our Katniss braids!

Hanging out with fellow slice of life writer Jennifer!

For more slices go to two writing teachers!

16 thoughts on “The Hunger Games & Slice of Life Meetup

1. melody says:

Do I even have to SAY IT? TEAM PEETA. yes, Josh (Peeta) could have been a little taller, but Jennifer (Katniss) should be smaller! Peeta is only supposed to be medium height in the book. JUST SAYING. Loved Jennifer in the role though 🙂

Ahh..you are the only Team Peeta so far…which you know what that means that majority rules… Team Gale!!!!!! 🙂

2. Kristina says:

I loved the movie, but also thought Peta should be different at first. He won me over during the movie. It is a hard call, but I am on Team Gale. Katniss deserves someone as strong as she is.

Funny that you would write about this today, because I had so many on staff reading the series last year, & we just saw the movie last night! I liked it & thought it could have been longer, because I wanted more sharing of the way the group worked with Katniss (& Peeta) before the games began. I found that fascinating in the book. The movie moved so quickly that I was surprised when it was over. I’m happy it was good! And I am Team Gale, maybe because of all the story, not just The Hunger Games. Also, fun that you got to meet Jennifer.

4. djts says:

No, Sharon (above), I’ve not read nor seen Hunger Games either. But the best thing is being able to share one more thing you have in common with someone across the miles! Wow! How great is that!

5. Mrs. V says:

That is so exciting that you got to meet another slicer. I laughed when I saw your line about wishing Peeta was taller than Katniss because the colleague who went to the movies with me said the same thing! I was torn between Peeta and Gale in the first books but ended up being Team Peeta with book 3.

6. girlgriot says:

I went back and forth between teams as I read the three books. I wanted to be solidly Team Gale all the way … but by the end I found myself voting for Peeta. I thought the movie was good, but I was disappointed by some of the changes made with the story, things that were included that seemed designed to set us up for the 2nd movie and I didn’t think that was necessary … and if they hadn’t been included, there would have been more time for some of the things that I missed from the book (District 11 bread, Avoxes, tribute mutts).

How great that you were able to meet Jennifer! I love when connections like that happen!