Top 10 Lessons from the Slice of Life Challenge

1) The second time around was easier than the first time!

2) It is easier to write about things I’m passionate about and that are close to my heart. I found myself opening up more to this writing community through my posts.

3) Writing about my experiences here in Korea as I’m transitioning to Singapore has helped me to process all that I’m going through. It has made me appreciate my time in Korea and reflect on how much I’ve grown.

4) Comments are awesome! A real audience and actual feedback makes a world of a difference. I’ve been blown away by all the thoughtful comments I’ve received.  It has been so affirming and made me feel like a real writer.

5) In order to produce good writing, it takes time and revision. The more time I spent on writing and revising my slices, the stronger my writing was.

6) Taking time to write daily takes advance planning. I knew March would be a really busy month for me, so I had to really plan out how I would do this. Being in another time zone 13 hours ahead actually helped. I would try to have my slice for the next day ready by the previous day. That way I wouldn’t be frantically stressed out at school about getting my slice ready and posted.

7) Your writing is powerful. Maybe I’m just getting more emotional as I get older, but there have more than a few times where I so moved by your slice. As I wiped away the tears land sliding down my face, I would leave a comment that probably didn’t show exactly how moved I was. Thank you for writing!

8) Some days were really hard to write. However, getting in a habit of writing every day has really increased my stamina! I didn’t find it as difficult to find something to write about as I did the first year I participated.

9) Writing everyday while on vacation was difficult, but doable. Having to deal with the slow internet connection from my hotel in Paris, plus being completed exhausted from being out all day made it challenging to keep up with the slices. However, I managed to do it and am glad I did.

10) I’m so thankful for the slice of life community. I’m so inspired by everyone. There are some of those slicers who have so dutifully commented on so many of my slices. I’m sorry if I didn’t get to return all those comments on your posts.  There are so many slices that have encouraged me, made me laugh and opened my eyes.

22 thoughts on “Top 10 Lessons from the Slice of Life Challenge

1. Dana says:

It was powerful in #7 that you used “You” – really made it personal as a reader. Thank you for sharing your reflections. It was a lot of work but so worth it!

I think you just said it all for us, Jee. Thank you for your many lessons that included the whole community. I hear that you worked hard to overcome several challenges, but you didn’t seem to miss a beat from my perspective. I loved all your posts!

3. Anita says:

I totally agree with your whole list…It still amazes me that we can feel connected yet be so far apart…it is the power of putting your thoughts into words, perhaps, or just that we all share an emerging understanding that power comes from words.

4. Judy C. says:

Jee, your reflections of last month’s challenge were right on. I can relate to each and every one. This was my first year in the challenge and there were days when I wrote that I wondered if anyone would read my posts, but this community came thru and assured me of their acceptance. Thanks for sharing.

5. blkdrama says:

I think it’s wonderful to stand back and reflect about this experience. We are with you Jee. I agree with your entire list.
    Thanks for writing it
    Bonnie

6. Two years and finishing strong... says:

I think this is an awesome metacognitive resoponse and I agree with this so much, “It is easier to write about things I’m passionate about and that are close to my heart. I found myself opening up more to this writing community through my posts.” Our kids need to feel this way also…Going on vacation last week was hard on me also….but I’m so glad that I kept working at it.

7. Jessica Whitmore says:

# 7 – I also was emotionally moved by many pieces. Often I would start a comment and have a hard time fully explaining what the piece did for me.

I like how you use “you/your” throughout this. As if you are speaking directly to me! Glad you are continuing to write!

Ditto, ditto, an ditto to all the previous comments. I found it was easier to write this year too. I love learning about teaching through your experiences. You bring a new world of school to me. Thanks for taking me to Paris.

9. Mrs. V says:

You really captured the feelings of reading and writing slices. I am glad that you were able to participate despite challenges and a busy month!

10. jaclynfre says:

Jee Young, I was truly in awe and inspired by your “slices.” I’m going to resolve to join you next year, but possibly start this month with an every other or every 3 day post? hmmm . . . I appreciated how compelling, but seemingly effortless your posts appeared. You modeled how achievable it is with determination and realistic goals (not lengthy, but compelling). Congratulations!

11. grade4wizard says:

Many of your statements sound like my reflection. Your number 4 (revision) was the one that stuck out the most to me this year. If last year I was happy that I had something to write about each day, then this year I wanted to write well, and it was difficult, because of not enough time. The posts I am happiest with are the ones I had time to revise.
    Terje

12. Betsy says:

Slow internet would have been a challenge, nice job! It is amazing how obstacles seem less that when we are motivated, and this challenge was most certainly motivating! Great list.

13. Michelle @litlearningzone says:

Wow! Ditto what everyone has said! (But I still wanted you to know that I was here and I read your slice!) What a great reflection!

14. Seney says:

Hello! This is the first time I have read your blog (post). I sliced the Month of March but was just trying to keep my ideas flowing. Your comment “The more time I spent on writing and revising my slices, the stronger my writing was.” I am looking forward to planning my slices and being able to revise. That is something I did not do well with during March (neither today). I enjoyed your list. Are you in Singapore now?

15. fireflytrails says:

You nailed it – the feelings and the hard work – in your post. So hard to imagine you doing this on vacation – not to mention from “a world away.” Good for you!!

16. Deb Day says:

Perfect list. I thought this year was easier also. Of course, I knew what I was in for (sounds like jail time–and I didn’t mean that) and planned ahead also. Guess I should keep planning so I don’t have another day like yesterday.