Sitting Still Silently

I received an e-mail response from my dad telling me how we went to Paris when I was 3 years old and got my portrait drawn by a street artist in Montmartre. After that, I knew I would get my portrait done again. I had a chance to go to Montmartre and after carefully trying to find the “best” artist to get my portrait from, the old guy in the beret was the winner. It cost 30 Euros and he spoke fluent English. He told me that if I didn’t like it, I wouldn’t have to buy it. How could I say no to that?

“The first five minutes are the most important, so try to stay really still.” He instructed.

“Ok.” I responded.  This shouldn’t too difficult I thought.

I thought I could sit comfortably, but I was wrong. I wasn’t able to lean against my chair as I sat up and had to turn my head towards the artist. I had to keep smiling and stare at him. He kept telling me I was doing a good job posing, keep smiling and look at him. His frequent reassurances were helpful and kept me still.

As people would come and stop to look at the drawing, some even took photos. How funny to think that my drawing is saved on small memory cards belonging to random tourists. I kept smiling and tried to stay still, hoping for the best. He continued to switch pencils, drawing and shading. His eyes would scan my face as he tried to make it as accurate as possible.

“You can move now,” he told me.

It was finally over. Little did I realize how hard it would be to sit still for a good 20 minutes. I was pleased at the end, but wondering, is that what I really look like?

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

14 thoughts on “Sitting Still Silently

1. wkb57 says:

It always amazes me how we see ourselves and others see us. Each set of eyes takes away something very different. It is like hearing your voice on a recording. The recording does not sound the same as what my ears hear when I speak. I see the similarities in the portrait but I also see stark differences. Fun post!

What a wonderful souvenir to take home! Just like you encourage students to keep writing, he encouraged you as you continued to pose. Love the photos!

3. Dana says:

I love that you did this because it is something you did in childhood, I love the images captured at the bottom so we can see the results of you sitting for so long, I love the words you used to describe the event. You are far more beautiful than the drawing but the drawing is very cool.

4. Michelle @litlearningzone says:

I see a gorgeous young woman! What fun! I love your photo show too – perfect to top off the slice!

5. Tam says:

OH, my. I felt I was right there with you–in Paris! Now you have 2 drawings of you! It’s amazing that a person can do that in a short time. I wonder, too, what it would be like to sit for 20 minutes quietly!!

6. girlgriot says:

I love your portrait! Great photo slideshow. I don’t think I could sit still long enough or hold the same pose or facial expression long enough. I’d probably frustrate the artist. I think you chose well. He made a really lovely picture for you.