the person behind the counter

Slice of Life Challenge Entry#4

As I made my second trip across the park to Homeplus (huge Walmart type of store in Korea) to get my last few pictures developed, I couldn’t help but feel a bit of anxiousness. I was just at the photo center in Homeplus last night getting over 50 pictures developed for 2 special projects of mine. When I had arrived home last night, I realized there were a few crucial photos that I forgot to put in the file on my usb to get printed. Therefore, it has been a busy Sunday morning. Not only was I going back a second time in less than 24 hours, but I always feel a bit more exposed when I get my photos printed.

I love taking photos and actually getting them printed.  I always wonder, does the person that works behind the counter actually really look at all my photos? What do they think? Do you they just glance through them like it’s their job, checking for quality, or do they marvel at some photos? Do they sometimes laugh or smile at them like I do?  Every time, I receive my envelope of printed photos back, I feel like they have seen a glimpse into my life and I wonder…

10 thoughts on “the person behind the counter

1. Deb Day says:

Haha–you know. I always wonder that too. Do they sometimes question what the heck we were doing. Do they marvel at how cute my grandkids are? Glad to know someone thinks like me!

2. Paul says:

I’m thinking of this as a larger metaphor. How much are we watching and taking note of each other? Is our self-consciousness about what we show the world and what people are noticing really necessary? I have no idea if the person behind the counter looked at the pictures or not; and if they did, does it really matter? Anyway, that’s what your slice made me think of. Thanks for sharing it!

3. Elizabeth G says:

I love this. How can you not take a couple seconds to admire someones view in a picture? I know that I’d be taking the time to at least take a glance and settle on some of the pictures. Enjoy your picture walk of the past.

It seems that we all have that thought. Maybe someone in this slicing world has worked at a photo developer and they can shed some light on this puzzling question.

I’ve thought of that too, Jee, but when I realize that there are hundreds that are developed, they really don’t have time for more than a glimpse. Maybe, just maybe they notice a few. I think I would, but then again, perhaps it’s just a job to them. Interesting to think about.

6. centerslices105 says:

Your post also nudged me towards the idea that we ask our kids to do that same kind of exposure when we ask them to write. For some eighth- graders, that’s asking a lot. Thanks for a new perspective.
    Diane

7. Kristi says:

Love this line…
    But I always feel a bit more exposed when I get my photos printed.
    Hmmm, will be thinking about exposure the next time I print.