My Bucket List

Slice of Life Challenge Entry #3: My Bucket List

For most of my life, I called NY my home. It was where I grew up, learned to drive, graduated from college, got my first paycheck and discovered what I was passionate about. I grew up in the suburbs, 30 minutes north of Manhattan. I lived in Manhattan for about 8 years before taking the jump to the international school scene. NY will always be home for me.

These past 3 and half years, I’ve started to call another place home. I never thought this could happen, but it’s funny how time allows the heart to grow soft. I’ve met so many amazing people and done some many amazing things one could only do in Korea. However, as my time is slowly coming to an end (3 months left), I realize there are some things I should try to do before I leave.

My Bucket List of things to do in Korea before I leave:

• Visit the green tea fields
  • Take photos at the princess café in Myung Dong
  • Ride the swan boats at the Han River
  • Visit Jejudo
  • Spend a Saturday afternoon at a café in Sam Chung Dong
  • Get drinks at Jongno Tower Top Cloud Bar
  • See a kpop concert and shout like a teenage girl!
  • Go bungee jumping in Bundang
  • Run the Nike 5K women’s race (Can’t sign up for this…)
  • Create a scrapbook of photos and memories for my orphanage girl I tutor!
  • Go to the flea market on Saturdays at Hongdae
  • Hang out with the students I’ve taught these past 4 years
  • Eat and hang out in the French village (Seo rae mael)
  • Spend quality time with the people I love

In the end, the most important one would be the last one! If you want to join me for any of the other things on list, let me know. 🙂

Where do you call home? Do you have a bucket list?

22 thoughts on “My Bucket List

1. Robin says:

What a great experience this must be for you! The fact that you are intentional and reflective enough to realize the opportunities that you have available to you AND that you are making sure to take advantage of all that is offered while you are there is a wonderful thing! Good luck and enjoy working through that bucket list!

I think there could be SOL postings in each item from your list. I would love to hang out, but the commute is a bit much. I will have to think of what could be on my bucket list, slowly I am crossing items off since I sort of retired.

I have a niece and a nephew adopted from Korea. I think I will send them this & at least they can visit some of the places you’ve named online. They are always interested in their birth place. What an almost bittersweet list, a way for you to say goodbye I think. And it’s so thoughtful of you to create it, and put that last one at the top.

Thanks Linda! There are so many interesting places to see and go to here in Korea. I hope your niece and nephew do get a chance to visit sometime. If they need recommendations, you know they can always contact me! 🙂

4. Dana says:

Love the idea of a slice of a bucket list. I’m writing that one down! 😉 Korea – wow – sounds so exciting and what a great way to stay focused on how to utilize your remaining time to its fullest.

5. Kristi says:

Only three months and it is barely March? Wow, you must get out early. I do have a bucket list in my writing notebook. I should write a draft and save it for the day I am stuck.

I think I will def. slice every time I check one of these things off now! One of my favorite places I’ve visited was the DMZ. This is where the border of South Korea and North Korea is. It’s a very serious and kind of gloomy place, but also a glimmer of hope, as you look past the fences into N.Korea, there’s hope for reconciliation and peace.

6. melody says:

I haven’t done almost everything on that list, and after April… I have no more grad classes on the weekend until we leave. What I am trying to say is, I AM SO GAME.

7. Chandra says:

Thanks for the post–never having been to Korea, I’ll take your word for it that these are all awesome things to do. 🙂 But you gave me the bit of inspiration I was looking for in preparing to slice today!

8. Jennifer K. says:

Jee,
    I, too, am an international school teacher. I am currently working in Shanghai, but I have more time than you do until my contract is up (about a year and a half). I’m actually traveling to Seoul in a month for my school’s Spring Break. I’m glad I ran across your list because now I have some ideas of what to do! I read your posts about the job fair and your new job offer– congrats! 🙂 Good luck on crossing things off of your list.

9. Carrie says:

By reading your list I am realizing I am way to sheltered in my little town and I need to look around the world. Wow!