Bus vs. Subway

As I tried to decide whether to take the bus or subway back home after doing some Christmas shopping, the answer was easy.  The bus stop was right there in front of me and the subway station was a good 10 minute walk farther in the biting cold Seoul winter. Obviously, I would take the subway home. I could continue reading my book on the subway. I always got nauseous and dizzy when I tried to read on the bus.

One of the high school students in my school came up to me a month ago telling me I just had to read this really good book. I never heard of  the book before and told her to bring me a copy of it if she really wanted me to read it. The next day, she found me and brought me a copy of the book, Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I saw it and thought immediately, I don’t have time to read it. It looks too long to read right now. I was in the middle of the book Swallow the Ocean  and I already had a few other books to read after that.

I would run into the student in the hallways afterwards and she would ask me if I read the book yet. I would tell her not yet, but I would read it soon. So finally, I am on vacation and I started the book on Friday. I just finished the book last night. It was one of those books I just couldn’t put down, even though the ending was predictable. It was a story about how powerful love can be. It was a story about an unconditional love that forgives, frees and redeems.

I’m looking forward to catching up on my reading during vacation. Only a few more days until my Kindle touch arrives from America! So on that note…

What books are you reading now? Do you have any good book recommendations?

For more slice of life entries, go to two writing teachers!

9 thoughts on “Bus vs. Subway

1. Stacey says:

I just bought my husband a Kindle for our anniversary (Shhh… don’t tell. It’s on Friday.). I hope he likes it as much as you like yours.

Enjoy the books in print and the e-books you plan to read this holiday season. Happy vacation too!

The student will be so happy to learn that you loved the book! I love it when I can share a book and talk with someone about it. Right now I am using my vacation to catch up on some professional books. Just finished The Comprehension Experience by Dorsey Hammond & Denise Nessel. Some food for thought in this one. Merry Christmas Jee!

3. Ruth says:

One thing I miss now that I’m not a classroom teacher is the book recommendations from kids. I love that you made time to read a book a student recommended — it proves how valuable they are to you. 🙂

I just finished BUNHEADS by Sophie Flack and loved it! I’m getting ready to read ABANDON by Meg Cabot.

Enjoy your vacation,
    Ruth

4. grade4wizard says:

I like taking the train home because it gives time to read. My list is always so long that I read the books people have read long ago. I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and started The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I have some other older books by Margaret Atwood and Elizabeth Strout on the list.
    Enjoy the holidays and reading.

I too miss those book recommendations from students. It’s so nice that you finally read the book, & you liked it! Your student love that you read & liked her choice. I’m reading Chime by Franny Billingsley & Mentor Author, Mentor Texts by Ralph Fletcher-both good! Hope you have a very happy holiday! And-wish I could ride a bus or train home-would give me more time to read! Alas, I’m in a car-time for more audio books!

6. Sharon says:

Honestly, I haven’t read a real book in a while. I hope to over the holidays. Wait, that’s not true. I recently re-read a novel called “Diary of a Mad Bride” — haha. But it’s cool that you’re blogging about books, and I am right now too!

7. Nuree says:

HAHAHAHA – I just read Sharon’s comment….the title of the book…timely, yes? 😉

During my last few days of freedom (unemployment), I read The Help, which I know you’ve read. I really enjoyed it, particularly the author’s notes at the very end when she discusses her experience and why she wrote it. Been reading a few non-fiction, one which you’d be interested in reading, jeebs: The Curse of the Good Girl: Raising Authentic Girls with Courage and Confidence by Rachel Simmons. I’m halfway through and it’s been good for self-reflection, as well as thinking about how I will raise/mentor young girls in the future. Have a stack of books Sharon gave me still waiting to be read, both fiction & non-fiction. And a few months ago at Border’s closing sale, bought Wendy Kopp’s A Chance to Make History (which I should read soon since it’s quite relevant to my work now!) and Richard Whitmire’s The Bee Eater (about Michelle Rhee taking on DCPS as Chancellor).

Miss you! Merry Christmas, dear!! XO