Time to Celebrate!

It’s that time of the year, where we get overwhelmed with school work, the holidays and everything else we need to do! I don’t know about you, but my to do list keeps on increasing. I cross off one item, then I need to add five more. I’ve come to a point of not putting things on my to do list, because I think it will just stress me out more if I can’t cross it out immediately!

I think as teachers, we get so caught up in all that we need to do, we don’t stop and reflect enough on our accomplishments, how small or big they might be. I love that in reading and writing workshop, at the end of every unit, we have some sort of celebration, where we celebrate the hard work that my students have done as readers and writers. Sometimes it’s an all out publishing party with food and parents, other times, it’s a simple sharing with each other.

What if as teachers, we were required to reflect and celebrate after each quarter/semester the work that we do as teachers?

A small accomplishment that I felt proud of was when my students got really excited to read a particular book I recommended. The book I recommended to my students was Because of Mr. Terupt. I actually first heard about this book from a post from Two Writing Teachers! It has been a hit with my students. I have one copy that has been rotating around and another student just finished it this weekend. I love it when books in my class have a long waiting list and students can’t wait to read it next! My student came in and told me, “This book makes me write a lot of post-it notes.” I just smiled back. The other two students that read the book absolutely loved it as well!

My student had about 3 more pages full of post-its!

So today, stop and take a moment to reflect on the past few months and share with us one of your accomplishments! Let’s celebrate all the great work that you have been doing!

For more slice of life entries, go to two writing teachers!

11 thoughts on “Time to Celebrate!

Sometimes we don’t stop to reflect on accomplishments, we only see what’s not right. Thanks for reminding me to do this. I recently read that when conferring with students we need to be sure to talk what growth the student has made from the beginning of school. So my biggest accomplishment, is teachers using seeds notebooks with students and they say students love writing.

2. Deb Day says:

Great Idea! Teachers don’t celebrate as much as they should. I, at least, tend to stress over the things that didn’t work. I think I’ll make a list! Thanks for sharing this!

3. Tara says:

Oh, I needed to hear this! I think your idea to pause and celebrate after each semester is such a good one – just a chance to say, Whew, look at what we’ve done! Mr. Terupt is a class favorite here, too. I have now acquired enough books to make it a book club offering as well – the kids can’t wait!!

4. grade4wizard says:

You wrote the words that have been rolling around my head for a while. I have learned that to-do-list is like a hydra. Chopping/crossing off makes it grow.
    It may be a nature of a very good teacher to keep striving for excellence and not notice the small victories. I am glad that you noticed and shared with us. I have made an effort to share the little good moments with my colleagues. Your post made me think whether there is something else we could do to actually celebrate the accomplishments.
    Terje

5. Mariah C. says:

Thank you for the great post. It’s difficult at times to see that we do accomplish some awesome things, especially when the small stuff can get us down. I tend to focus a lot on my errors rather than my successes. How encouraging to have someone remind of the good things we have done!

I love your idea, and seeing the sticky notes too, I assume are about Mr. Terupt. I loved the book and have encouraged others to read it! Thanks for helping us stop and reflect. I’m always telling others to do so, but rarely stop myself. Your reflection is a good model!

7. Christy Rush-Levine says:

I share your pain when it comes to “To Do” lists! I just wrote one today- a list of “essentials.” Before I left school, I uncovered it and noticed that I hadn’t accomplished ANY of the three “essential” items after working for 2 hours! Your post is all so true! I love the enthusiasm demonstrated by those post-it notes. This reminds me of Ruth’s “Little Things” post a few weeks ago. Thanks for sharing!

8. Elizabeth G says:

Your post came at the perfect time. Life keeps getting crazy and I quickly forget about those special moments. Thank you for the perfect message. And Mr. Terupt is an AMAZING read.