A Rare Moment

Last period was  finally approaching on this long Monday and we had some extra time. I wanted to try something different. I explained to my students that we would write poems about what they are thankful for. We would share these poems at our thanksgiving celebration on Wednesday. I gave them the prompt,”I am thankful for…”

Then, they opened their writer’s notebooks and wrote, but unlike the other times, where I walk around and meet with students, I decided to write as well. I opened up my writer’s notebook, which I admit was gathering some dust in my bookshelf, and got out my inky teacher pen and wrote. I crossed out some lines and struggled to come up with what I wanted to say exactly. However, I managed to put something together. A rough draft. A beginning to something. After about 15 minutes of writing, I walked around and encouraged students to expand and be more descriptive on what they wrote.

I read aloud to them what I had so far and had a few other students share as well. Afterwards, one of my students came up and asked, “Is that your writer’s notebook? Can I see the cover? Oooh, lucky…” Unfortunately, I didn’t decorate the cover of that writer’s notebook, but my student still seemed to like it.

I was reminded today that writing with my students and getting caught in the writing process along my students is worthwhile . So here’s a little something of what I’m came up with…

I’m thankful for…

the blank pages that welcome my pen

avocados from costco, no matter the price

the songs that resonate in my soul

the warm blankets that I can snuggle underneath on a cold winter day

genuine smiles

getting paid to do what i love

my blog readers!

unexpected gifts

my family that supports me no matter how far apart we are

books that i can’t put down until i’m finished with it

my students from the past and the present

good friends that love me just as i am, no explanations needed

the excitement a student has in telling me about the book that they simply loved

hugs

answered prayers

slice of pumpkin pie, marshmallow yams and cranberry sauce

God’s unfailing love

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? 🙂

For more slice of life entries, go to Two Writing Teachers.

16 thoughts on “A Rare Moment

1. Elizabeth G says:

I love this time of year. When the colors outside turn vibrant and then begin to fade. It’s also a time for reflection and a time to give thanks. I love your list and was able to relate with so many. I am thankful for being surrounded by supportive people who love and value me. What more could I ask for? Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and thank you for making me stop and reflect on my blessings.

2. Michelle @litlearningzone says:

How awesome is that! To get caught up in the moment of writing. To allow your students to see you struggle and think and cross out. To understand that writing isn’t all that easy! What a gift for your students!

Many thoughts on your list resonated with me as well. Thank you for sharing! Happy thanksgiving!

3. Deb Day says:

I love writing with my students and sharing the struggles. They seem to begin to understand that not all writing comes out published ready! I love your listy poem–especially the line “the blank pages that welcome my pen”. Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

4. Mariah C. says:

What a nice story. I always feel there’s so much more to be grateful for than to be upset or worried about. Wonderful that you help your students share that, and practice writing too. =)

5. Donna Smith says:

Thank you for sharing what you came up with. It was a nice process to go through with your students. They like seeing the process so they can tell it is okay to ” make mistakes” as they would put it. I try to help them understand that there are no mistakes, just opportunities.

6. Stacey says:

What a gorgeous poem Jee Young! Thank you for sharing it with us.

I’m thankful for lots of things. On my most recent days, I’ve been thankful for:
    play dates on rainy afternoons.
    my eyes are just dry, not infected. Four days of cold, dry air in Chicago did me in contacts-wise, but at least my glasses allow me to see and that’s what’s important.
    for a helpful conversation I had with an editor and publisher today about the picture book idea I’ve been toying with for awhile. I finally have some direction!
    AND OF COURSE, my family.

7. Dawn says:

Modelling is the essence of teaching and something we are very aware of in the early years, but should remember to actively practise at any age – just as you have done here. I particularly liked your first three lines – and so much of your poem had special meaning for me.

8. Christy Rush-Levine says:

I get the sense that your decision to spontaneously join in while they wrote added to the authenticity of the moment for your students. I love the way you described your “inky teacher pen.” It automatically gave me this image of pen just bursting with words, ready to spill onto the page. Your writing is honest, genuine, and meaningful. I am thankful for so many writers to share words with!