SOLC#10: Stag, stag, staggy beetle

We had more guests in my class today. My other students brought in his stag beetles, and some caterpillars as well. I wrote a short poem about it for my slice today. We’ll be starting our poetry unit next week, so I thought I work on some writing my own poetry.

Stag, stag, staggy beetle

Why do my students adore thee?

They ooh and ahh at your presence

They squeal with excitement to touch you

They gaze at you like a Christmas gift

Stag, stag, staggy beetle

Why do I dislike thee?

I shudder at your presence

I squeal with horror when you’re near

I gaze at you like the cockroach’s brother

Looks almost fake.

They like to eat jellies!

One of the students measuring it's size.

14 thoughts on “SOLC#10: Stag, stag, staggy beetle

1. Heather says:

I like how you organized this poem. Clever idea with the positive in the first stanza and moving to the second stanza we see the negative. Compare and contrast can occur in poetry too. I love that you did this! Glad to hear you are doing a poetry unit as well! All students should experience the wonder of poetry – it’s not all about rhymes. 🙂 I absolutely adore the line “Stag, stag, staggy beetle”. It has a rhythm of its own.

Thanks for your detailed comment! Poetry is definitely one of my favorite units to teach. It’s’ so much fun to read and write.

2. Diana Martin says:

Oh my goodness, LOVE the poem. I love the stag, stag, staggy beetle lines. And your last line is ties it together so perfectly. Also love the pictures. Wonderful slice!

Well, I guess the stag beetle is good for something . . . poetry! Nice job, I too, like the stag, stag, staggy beetle phrase. Shudder is definately the right word for my reaction if I were to be in the same room.

4. Donna Smith says:

Okay, well, um, I liked the poem. I have a problem with the pictures…it’s just me and bug pictures. I don’t even want to touch the pictures in a magazine with spiders on them… my phobia revealed! BUT, that said… loved the contrast in your poem!

5. sprice says:

I just learned something. I didn’t know it was called a stag beetle! the repetition and ryhme are nice! The “squeal with excitement” makes it come alive! Thanks for sharing!

6. girlgriot says:

Oh, my. I would so be fleeing the room every time I saw one of those! Love your poem and photos … but now I’ll be seeing stag stag staggy beetles in my dreams!