SOLC #1: Do A Lil Dance

I’ve decided it was time to start working out my writing muscles again and join the March slice of life challenge which is run by the  two writing teachers.

Like all good challenges, there’s an element of difficulty, discipline  and dedication.  It’s not going to be easy  to blog everyday. I have a hard enough time blogging two times a week, but that is why it’s a challenge. However, I know that in end, it will be worthwhile. Not only because there are great writing prizes given away to the teachers, but I will have accomplished this with other writers from all over the world. Also, I will be practicing and improving my own writing craft. On that note, here is my slice of life for today.

Do A Lil Dance

I eyed the two skirts and two pairs of pants hanging next to me in the tiny forever 21 fitting room. I decided to try on the stonewashed ash colored skinny jeans. Feeling lazy, I decided keep my black leggings. The jeans should fit over the leggings. I slipped my right leg into the pants, it made it up past the calf. It wasn’t going to move any further. I took them off. I took the leggings off. I started all over again.

My second attempt. I slid the jeans on my right leg first. Then, I slowly pulled them up. It was obviously the leggings I were wearing that was problematic, not the size of my legs, nor the size of the jeans.

I slid my left leg through the jeans. And slowly I began to pull them higher and higher until the jeans reached my hips. I stopped. It was time to do the dance. If you are a female you know what I’m talking about. You wiggle a little to the left, then to the right. You hop on one foot then the other. You shimmey your bottom as you carefully squeeze the denim on top. Then you suck in and hold your breath as you gently zip up the zipper and pray that the button fastens. Then you smile.

My fashion friend told me the rule is to buy jeans that are really tight when you try them on because they start to loosen. Then you have the perfect fit after you “break them” in after a few wears.

The jeans didn’t make it pass the hips. I tried on the next pair of jeans. These actually fit and no dance was needed. However, I decided that I didn’t need another pair of jeans. Maybe next time, when I’m feeling a little more 21.

13 thoughts on “SOLC #1: Do A Lil Dance

1. Elizabeth E. says:

I’m doing a little dance to get the SOLSC started again–my third year. Great images in your writing, with vivid, specific descriptions (a mantra I’m always quoting in my classroom). It’s been years since I’ve tried on clothes in the dressing room–I’m mostly a mail-order gal now since they always have my size. Fun story!

Wow, that’s great that this your third year participating! This is my first time participating. I wish I could mail order a lot of my clothes, but I’m living abroad.

2. Michelle says:

I was laughing out loud as I read your slice…because I have been there and done that! Actually, just this morning I was doin’ a lil dance. I had my twin daughters 10 months ago and I’m slowly fitting back into my pre-prego pants. The dance worked for me this morning! I’m in!
    Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more slices!
    Michelle

Wow, you have twin daughters!! That must be amazing, but a lot of work. My mom had twin boys, so I know what that can be like! Thanks for commenting!

3. Ms. M says:

Jee Young,
    I absolutely know the lil dance. I actually had to stop myself from doing the dance as I read your post. Your description is spot on, especially the hopping on one foot. I am reminded of a scene from the film “Dazed and Confused” where one of the actresses is being helped into a pair of jeans by her girlfriends who zip up the pants while she lies down and sucks in. Ahhh the sacrifices we make for fashion.

I saw on your twitter page that you are from New York. My sister is living there now. What part of NY are you from?

Happy Slicing,
    Erin

Luckily, I haven’t had to lie down in any fitting rooms to get a pair of jeans on! I grew up in Westchester and then lived in Manhattan before I moved out to Seoul. 🙂

4. Ruth says:

Fun slice, Jee. Cool last line — the play on words is fun. Welcome to the challenge. It’ll be fun slicing alongside of you this week.
    Ruth